Friday, April 13, 2012

The "Why"

Okay, it’s after 5:00 on a Friday evening. I can’t make any phone calls, the post office is closed and my attorney’s office is only open until 4:00 anyway. So, now that I can catch my breath, let me go back and fill everyone in.

Yes we are adopting a teenaged boy! Crazy huh? (Well, we have one already and we think they are pretty neat, so another one suits us just fine.)

The thing is, this is no ordinary boy. He happens to have a really great smile and wonderful dark, eyes and Cerebral Palsy. That Cerebral Palsy part is what gets him.

Because he is an orphan with a physical difference he is facing imminent transfer to a mental institution. We are not talking about Pleasant Acres here either. I don’t think I have to paint you a picture of what that might mean for him.

We couldn’t do nothing about that.

God has blessed us. We enjoy a steady income. We enjoy a roomy home. We enjoy gardens, a barn and a great view. Our kids will never face the mental institution. They will probably go to college, marry and have adorable kids of their own.

God doesn’t set everybody up that way. In fact, most of the rest of the world would consider us not comfortable, not upper middle class, but EXTREMELY WEALTHY.

It is simply time for us to start seeing ourselves that way. And to stop doing nothing about it.

What does this have to do with the boy we know as “Duncan”? Glad you asked. We believe God has showered these riches on us specifically so that we could give this boy a shot. A shot at a continued education. A shot at a marriage and kids.

A shot at knowing and understanding who God is and how He loves.

So there you have it. Call us crazy.

We prefer the term “blessed”.

4 comments:

  1. I am a Reece's Rainbow Guardian Angel for another boy and I noticed Duncan's information on the New Commitments page. My heart just broke for him and then got so excited because you are bringing him home! I hope you don't mind if I follow your blog as you go along; I'd love to pray for you all and spread the word about any fundraising help you might need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story. So happy he has found a home!

    Nikki
    www.madebynikki.blogspot.com - blog design to support global education

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited that Duncan has found a family. When his profile came up on R.R (I'm a loyal reece's lurker) he grabbed hold of my heart immediately. We had talked about international adoption before but it always seemed like a "someday maybe" possibility. We were hoping to adopt again but figured we'd do foster adopt again. The couple days I spent looking at a bunch of R.R older boys in need of adoption really changed my heart and directed us to the boy that God has for us (before that I had pretty much told God I had enough testosterone in my house)haha! I couldn't get those boys out of my head though, including Duncan. I was so thrilled when I saw that he had a family coming for him. We're now in the process of adopting a boy with C.P too. We feel so incredibly blessed and excited! I'm looking forward to following along with Duncan's deliverance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really Great to see that!
    Both will be so much happy!

    Real Exams

    ReplyDelete